4. call a spade a spade 实话实说,直言不讳
小贴士
1. i've never had an overdraft in my life.
我从来不透支。
2. oh, no. my credit card is overdrawn.
哦,糟了。我的信用卡透支了。
3. i took out an overdraft to pay for my new overcoat and shoes.
我透支买了件新大衣和新鞋子。
4. i am in the red this month again.
我这个月又透支了。
5. this bonus will go a long way towards paying my overdraft.
这笔奖金对还清我的透支额将大有帮助。
6. i have been given two credit cards with very high limits.
我有两张透支额很高的信用卡。
7. by the end of each month my boyfriend's account is always in the red.
每个月的月底,我男朋友的账户总是出现透支。
信用卡的种类:
credit card 信用卡
affinity card 认同卡
platinum card 白金卡
student card 学生卡
preferred card/gold card 金卡
value card 储值卡
classic card 普卡
co-branded card 联名卡
supplementary card 附属卡
debit card 转账卡
atm card 金融卡
charge card 签账卡
cash advance card 现金卡
corporate card 商务卡、公司卡
精打细算记账忙
dialogue
it's time to get off work. maggie sees julie being busy at theputer.
该下班了。麦琪看到朱莉还在电脑前忙着。
maggie: hi, julie, it's getting late. why don't you return home?
麦琪:嗨,朱莉,已经很晚了。你怎么还没回家呢?
julie: i'll leave in a minute. i'm busy with tracking my spending now.
朱莉:我过一会儿就走。现在正忙着记账呢。
maggie: what? you mean your personal spending?
麦琪:什么?你是说你的个人花费?
julie: yeah, it gives me a rough idea of my money habits as well as incentive to start changing them.
朱莉:是的,通过记账我大概知道了自己花钱的习惯和怎样改变这些不良习惯。
maggie: isn't it too troublesome? sometimes i even can't remember where my money goes on.
麦琪:那不是很麻烦吗?有时我甚至不知道钱花哪儿了。
julie: so we need an account book to keep track of every single daily expense.write down the exact number after each expenditure at once, and then you won't forget it.
朱莉:所以我们才需要一个账本记录每次的日常开销。花钱后马上记录下来就不会忘了。
maggie: how long have you kept the habit of recording the expenditure?
麦琪:你记账的习惯有多久了?
julie: about three months. i find it's very useful to give me a full-on reality check and make me know where my money goes. i'll see which the unnecessary expenditure is and then reduce waste. gradually i kickstarted my “spend less, save more” financial plan.
朱莉:大概有3个月了。我发现记账有利于对账,让我知道我的钱花在哪方面了。我会看到哪些是不必要的开支,然后减少浪费。渐渐地,我就开始了“少花钱,多节省”的理财习惯。
maggie: oh, i got it. it sounds not bad.
麦琪:哦,我知道了。这个理财习惯听起来不错。
notes
1. rough idea 大致的想法;大体的意思
2. incentive [in'sentiv] adj. 刺激的;鼓励的;n. 刺激;鼓励;动机
3. account book 账簿
4. keep track of 跟上……的进展;记录;保持和……的联系
5. full-on [ful'?n] adj. 最典型的,最强烈的
6. reality check 现状核实;提醒人面对现实的事件
7. kick-start ['kik?sta:t] v. 启动,脚踩发动;n. 起动踏板
8. financial pla 财政计划,财务计划
小贴士
you can do a better job of keeping track of your money once you find where it's going. is it hard for you to keep track of where your money is going? try online account for great graphing technology that monitors your finances. do you know what online account is? it's a written budget on the internet. it keeps you on track and gives you a visual representation of your overall financial picture. there are many websites offering such kind of services and even giving you a free credit report.
记账是个好习惯,你可以通过记账发现自己的钱花在哪些方面。你是不是觉得记账很困难呢?你可以尝试一下网上记账,它能够提供管理财务的强大制图技术。什么是网上记账?它是写在网络上的财务预算,使你能够对自身的财务状况有一个非常直观的认识。现在有很多网站都提供这样的服务,甚至还提供免费的信用报告。
繁琐的贷款
dialogue
karl wants to buy a car but his money is not enough, so he decides to ask the bank for help.
卡尔想买一辆车,但他的钱不够,所以他决定求助于银行。
bank clerk: good morning, sir. what can i do for you?
银行职员:早上好,先生。您需要办理什么业务?
karl: i want to borrow two hundred thousand yuan. does your bank have such loan plan?
卡尔:我想贷20万元。请问贵行有这类贷款计划吗?
bank clerk: oh, yes. can you tell me what would you like to use it for?
银行职员:哦,有的。能告诉我你贷款是做什么用吗?
karl: i want to buy a car to facilitate my life,but i don't have enough money.
卡尔:我想买辆车以方便生活,但是我现在还没有足够的钱。
bank clerk: i see. would you mind telling me your monthly or annual salary?
银行职员:我知道了。能告诉我您的月薪或者年薪是多少吗?
karl: my annual salary is 100 000 yuan. by the way, what about the interest rate?
卡尔:我的年薪是10万元。顺便问一下,利率是多少啊?
bank clerk: it depends how long you'll pay off the loan.
银行职员:这取决于你的还款年限。
karl: what if i choose to clear off it in 5 years?
卡尔:假如我打算5年还清呢?
bank clerk: it's 6.45 % for five-year loan. ok, sir. we'll consider supplying you a loan. please fill out this loan application first and bring the material about your ie and credit rating next time.
银行职员:5年贷款利率是6.45%。好的,先生,我们会考虑贷款给您的。请先填写这份贷款申请表,下次来时请带上与您的收入和信用等级相关的材料。
karl: ok, i will. thank you.
卡尔:好的,我会的。谢谢。
bank clerk: my pleasure.
银行职员:很乐意为您效劳。
notes
1. facilitate[f?'siliteit] v. 使变得(更)容易,使便利
2. annual salary年薪
3. credit rating信用评级
小贴士
贷款程序简述:
1. acceptance 受理
2. primary auditing 初审
3. appraisal 评估
4. checkup and approval 审查审批
5. joint assessment 联合评审
6. granting loan 发放贷款
毕业之后还要上的10堂英语课 01 初识 第五堂
社交圈子
01 初识
问候——友谊的开始
dialogue
it's sue's fi rst day of work. now she is in the ofi ce of herpan.
今天是苏上班的第一天。现在她正在公司的办公室里。
sue: good morning. i'm a rookie in our office. i'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.
苏:早上好,我是新来的员工。我一直盼望着认识你们。
julie: good morning. wee aboard!
朱莉:早上好。欢迎加入我们。
sue: nice to meet you. i am sue kant.
苏:很高兴认识你。我是苏·康德。
julie: nice to meet you, too. i am julie smith. you can call me julie.
朱莉:很高兴认识你,我是朱莉·史密斯。你可以叫我朱莉。
sue: ok, julie. i'm new to the working world and would appreciate your guidance.
苏:好的,朱莉。在工作方面我是新手,请多指教。
julie: that's all right. if you need anything just ask. i'll do my best to help you out. well,i hope you'll be happy working here.
朱莉:没事的,如果你需要什么尽管开口。我会尽力帮助你的。好了,希望你在这工作得愉快。
sue: thank you! it's very kind of you.
苏:谢谢你!你真是太好了。
julie: you are wee.
朱莉:你太客气了。
sue: i'd like to meet other colleagues. could you introduce them to me?
苏:我想见见其他的同事,你能给我介绍一下吗?
julie: of course.
朱莉:当然可以。
notes
1. rookie ['ruki] n. 新手;新兵
2. help sb. out 帮助某人解决难题,帮助某人摆脱困境;帮助某人完成工作
小贴士
第一天公司上班,是不是有点手足无措?其实,初次见面好比跳华尔兹,非常简单,就是3步曲:问候——介绍——对方回答。先用good morning / afternoon打招呼,同时握手以显示你的诚意。当然不要忘记smile,因为微笑是消除隔阂、沟通心灵的好方法。作为新人,应该主动与同事交往,所以要先作self introduction,除了&
may i introduce myself, please? my name's karl smith.&
你还可以说&
let me introduce myself.my name's karl&
或者&
i'm karl smith. you can call me karl.&
做完了自我介绍,如果希望把自己介绍给经理,可以说&
i don't know anyone here. could you introduce me to the manager? &
每当对方报上姓名时,你要记得说&
nice to meet you.& &
glad to meet you.&
或&
pleased to meet you.&
为了加深对方的印象,你可以加上对对方的赞扬:&
i've heard a lot about you.&
,或者&
i'm looking forward to working for you.&
接下来就和新同事一一问候打招呼吧。
第一印象很重要
dialogue
katherine and sarah are talking their new colleague sue.
凯瑟琳和莎拉正在讨论她们的新同事苏。
katherine: hey, do you know ourpany came a new girl yesterday?
凯瑟琳:嘿,你知道我们公司昨天新来个女同事吗?
sarah: really? i didn't know it yet. i asked for leave yesterday. how do you think of her?
莎拉:是吗?我还不知道。我昨天请假了。你觉得那个女孩怎么样?
kathrine: she impressed me very well. she is tall and slim.
凯瑟琳:她给我的第一印象挺不错。她个子高高的,很苗条。
sarah: she must be very attractive. i don't expect her to be a vase or a brown-noser in our team.
莎拉:那她一定很迷人。我真不希望她是一个花瓶或者是个马屁精。
katherine: maybe neither. though she is a green hand here, she is enthusiastic and diligent. i can often see smiles on her face.
凯瑟琳:可能不是。尽管她是个新手,但她工作很有热情,很勤快。我经常看到她脸上挂着笑容。
sarah: first impressions count. look at the war without smoke of gunpowder in otherpanies. they are scheming against each other. oh, my god. i don't really bring it up.
莎拉:第一印象很重要。看看其他公司的没有硝烟的战场,彼此勾心斗角的。哦,天啊,我真不想提。
katherine: yeah, i am really fear of those who do something secretly in his power to obstruct your development. that's terrible.
凯瑟琳:是呀,我真的也很担心那种在背后使坏的人。那太可怕了。
sarah: what a good thing that we get along very well in thepany!
莎拉:真庆幸我们公司的同事都相处得很好。
notes
1. brown-noser [braun'n?uz?] n. 拍马屁的人