owen: pacific building, please.
欧文:太平洋大厦。
driver: ok, no problem.
司机:好的,没问题。
(on the taxi)
(在出租车上)
owen: excuse me, what's the screen on the back of the seat for?
欧文:不好意思,请问一下,座位后面的那个屏幕是干什么的?
driver: it's a portable multimedia. it's a popular thing now.
司机:这是个移动多媒体,现在非常流行。
owen: oh, that's new to me. so what's on everyday?
欧文:哦,对我来说这真是个新鲜事物。它每天都播放些什么?
driver: it's mainly about current affairs, music, food and travel information and so on.
司机:时事新闻、音乐、食品和旅游信息等等。
owen: it is very useful, i think.
欧文:我认为这很有用。
driver: yes, there is something good and informative. i think that many people begin to realize the value of public media.
司机:是啊,有些内容非常好,而且信息量也非常大。我想很多人都意识到了公共媒体的价值。
owen: sure it is.
欧文:确实是这样。
driver: yeah. you know driving is boring. tv can get me out of the fatigue of driving.
司机:是啊。你知道,驾驶是非常乏味的。电视可以解除我开车的疲劳。
owen: it can also entertain your passengers like me.
欧文:而且它还能给像我一样的乘客带来娱乐。
driver: that's the point.
司机:你说对了。
notes
1. screen [skri:n] n. 屏风,帘,纱窗;掩护物;屏幕;v. 遮蔽;掩护;放映(电影),播放(电视节目)
2. portable [?p?:t?b?l] adj. 便于携带的,手提式的,轻便的
3. realize [?ri?laiz] v. 实现;了解,认识到;变卖;赚得
4. boring [?b?:ri?] adj. 无趣的,单调的,乏味的
5. fatigue [f??ti:g] n. 疲劳,劳累
小贴士
1. we need to take a cab to get there earlier.
我们需要坐出租车,以便早点儿赶到那儿。
2. it's hard to get a taxi now. how about taking a bus?
现在很难打到车。坐公交车怎么样?
3. what's the rate per kilometer?
每公里多少钱?
4. it's a taxi-rank. it's easier to take a taxi there.
那有一个计程车候客站。在那里打的容易一点。
5. can i put the luggage into the trunk?
我可以把行李放到后备箱里吗?
6. beijing west railway station, please.
去北京西站。
7. here's your tip.
这是你的小费。
大众交通——公交车
dialogue
kitty wanted to go to the cultural palace. but she took the wrong bus.
凯蒂要去文化宫,但是她乘错了公交车。
kitty: i'm going to the cultural palace. when shall i get there?
凯蒂:我要去文化宫,什么时候能到呢?
mark: sorry, you're on the wrong bus. you should take bus no. 132 near the railway station.
马克:不好意思,您乘错车了。您得在火车站附近坐132路车。
kitty: how can i get to the railway station, please?
凯蒂:我怎么才能到火车站呢?
mark: get off at the next stop, cross the street, and you'll find a bus stop not far on your right hand side. there're buses to the railway station.
马克:在下一站下车,穿过街道,在右边不远处,您会看见一个公交车站。那里有去火车站的车。
kitty: could i have a transfer ticket, please?
凯蒂:请问我可以要一张转乘车票吗?
mark: here you are.
马克:给您。
kitty: thank you.
凯蒂:谢谢。
notes
1. palace [?p?lis] n. 宫,宫殿
2. stop [st?p] n. 停止,逗留;停车站,候车站,车站;v. 停止,中断;逗留;阻挠
3. cross [kr?s] v. 穿过,越过;交叉,相交;n. 十字架
4. transfer [tr?ns?f?:] v. 转移,转让;n. 转乘票;转移
小贴士
1. we shall get off at the next stop to get another bus.
我们应该在下一站下车,转乘其他公交。
2. how can i get an ic card for bus?
如何办理公交ic卡?
3. could you please remind me when the bus gets to the zoo?
到动物园时请提醒我一下好吗?
4. the k2 bus will take us to the ocean park.
我们坐2路快线可以到达海洋馆。
5. that double-decker bus is what we want.
那辆双层巴士就是我们要坐的。
6. it's too crowded on the bus. we'd better get there by car next time.
公交车太挤了,下次我们最好开车去那儿。
环保出行首选自行车
dialogue
lisa and henry are going to the concert, and they are discussing how to get there.
丽萨和亨利要去听音乐会。他们正在讨论乘坐何种交通工具。
lisa: are you ready to go to the concert?
丽莎:你准备好去听音乐会了吗?
henry: yes. shall we go there by bus so we won't be late?
亨利:是的。我们一起去坐公共汽车吧?这样不会迟到。
lisa: why not go there by bike? we could get stuck in traffic if we take a bus in rush hour.
丽莎:我们为什么不骑自行车去呢?如果我们坐公共汽车的话,赶上高峰期一定会堵在路上的。
henry: that's true. cycling is good for our environment, too. so it's better to go there by bike.
亨利:有道理。骑自行车对环境也有好处,那还是骑自行车比较好。
lisa: is that your new bicycle?
丽莎:这是你的新自行车吗?
henry: yes, i have just bought it last week. do you like it?
亨利:是啊,我上周才买的。你喜欢吗?
lisa: it's the newest mountain bike. it's really cool!
丽莎:这是最新款山地车,真酷啊!
henry: i like everything about it except the saddle. it is a bit higher to me. do you know how to change the height?
亨利:除了车座以外什么都好,车座对我来说有点高了。你知道怎么调高度吗?
lisa: that's easy. it's important to have the saddlefortable enough so that you can control the bike well.
丽莎:那很简单。让座位保持舒适很重要,只有那样才能控制好自行车。
henry: yes, my feet can't touch the ground. it's easy to fall off.
亨利:是啊,我的脚都挨不着地面,很容易摔倒。
lisa: yes. give me a minute and i can adjust it for you and then we can go.
丽莎:是的。等一下,我把车座给你调整好,咱们就能走了。
notes
1. concert [?k?ns?t] n. 音乐会
2. actually [??kt?u?li] adv. 实际上,实在地;确实;目前,眼下
3. saddle [?s?dl] n.(马)鞍,鞍状物;车座;v. 给(马)装鞍;使承担
4. adjust [??d??st] v.(改变以)适应;调整;校正
小贴士
1. what's the price to rent this bike?
这辆自行车的租金是多少?
2. there's a short cut; we can cross it.
这有条近道,我们可以穿过去。
3. how long does it take to reach there by bike?
骑自行车到那里需要多长时间?
4. the chain of my bike is off. could you help me fixing it?
我的自行车链子掉了,你能帮我修一下吗?
5. i think we need to buy a map in case of losing the way.
我想我们应该买一张地图,以防迷路。
6. test the brakes of your bike before leaving.
出发之前检查一下你自行车的车闸。
晕船真难受
dialogue
peter and mary will go to hong kong for a business meeting. now, they are on the ship to hong kong.
彼得和玛丽要去香港参加一个商务会议。此时,他们在去香港的船上。
mary: peter, let's go to the deck to enjoy the beautiful sea, ok?
玛丽:彼得,我们去甲板上欣赏美丽的大海,好吗?
peter: sorry, i can't. i'm not feeling very well.
彼得:对不起,我去不了。我感觉不太舒服。
mary: your face looks very pale. what's wrong with you?
玛丽:你的脸色看起来很苍白。你怎么了?
peter: i'm feeling a turn of dizziness on my head. i think i'm suffering from seasickness.
彼得:我感到头部一阵眩晕,我想是晕船了。
mary: are you always so when on board?
玛丽:你坐船时总是这样吗?
peter: yes, i'm not a good sailor. i always get sick aboard a ship.
彼得:是的,我晕船。坐船总是会晕船。
mary: do you have any seasick pills?
玛丽:你有晕船药吗?
peter: yes, i have taken some seasick pills just now.
彼得:是的,我刚刚已经吃了几片。
mary: ok. then have a good rest.
玛丽:哦,那好好休息一下吧。
peter: thank you for your concern.
彼得:多谢关心。
notes
1. deck [dek] n. 甲板;层面
2. pale [peil] adj. 苍白的,灰白的;浅色的,淡的;v. 变得苍白;失色,变得暗淡
3. dizziness ['dizinis] n. 头昏眼花,头晕,眩晕
4. seasickness ['si:?siknis] n. 晕船
5. aboard [??b?:d] prep. / adv. 在(船、飞机、车)上,上(船、飞机、车)
小贴士
1. the anchor is being lifted now. our trip is about to start.
船正在起锚,我们的旅程就要开始了。
2. there are seagulls flying hither and thither around the ship.
海鸥在轮船四周飞来飞去。
3. the seawaves are so rough that the rolling of the ship makes me feel uneasy.
海浪这么大,船左右摇晃得令我感到很不舒服。
4. take these tablets and then you'll feel better.
把这几片药吃下去,你就会感到好一些。
5. i'm not a good sailor.
我晕船。
6. the ship is going to put in to the harbor. what a nice journey!
船就要进港了。真是一次不错的旅行!
7. the next port wille three hours later.
3小时之后就会到下一个港口。
堵车——城市顽疾
dialogue
sam wants to go to the central hotel to meet his client.
山姆要去中央酒店会见客户。
sam: taxi!
山姆:出租车!
driver: at your service, sir. where to?
司机:很愿意为您效劳,先生。要去哪儿?
sam: the central hotel, please. how long will it take?
山姆:去中央酒店。需要多长时间?
driver: around 20 minutes in normal time. but it's rush hour now. it may need nearly one hour to get there.
司机:平时需要大概20分钟。但现在是交通高峰时段,到那里需要将近一个小时。
sam: is there any way around the traffic jam?
山姆:能绕过堵车路段吗?
driver: we can go back to that intersection and try another way. but it's a longer distance and needs higher price.
司机:我们可以退回那个十字路口走另外一条路。但是路程会更远,价格也要高一些。
sam: all right, let's do that.
山姆:好吧,就走那里吧。
driver: ok. but we're going to be stuck here for a little while before we go back to that intersection. let's listen to some music. what do you want to listen to, sir?
司机:好的。不过在去十字路口之前还得在这里堵一小会儿。我们来点音乐吧。先生喜欢听点什么?
sam: how about some beatles?
山姆:披头士的怎么样?
driver: yeah, all right. i love it, too.
司机:好的,我也很喜欢。